Kettlebells are not new to fitness enthusiasts; in fact, their popularity continues to increase and with good reason – as kettlebell training combines cardiovascular, strength and flexibility workouts that are beneficial for the whole body. When used correctly, kettlebells can be an effective means of providing total body strength and conditioning.
- Full body movements connect from head to toe to improve core integration
- Improved strength and stabilisation as muscles work hard to keep joints aligned
- Increased lung and heart capacity as multi-joint movements require more oxygen
- Little or no movement of the feet means minimal impact and workout space is required
Types of Kettlebell
There are two different types of kettlebell:
- Competition Kettlebells – have smaller square handles and the size doesn’t change regardless of weight
- Cast Iron Kettlebells – have larger and more rounded handles that are suitable for two handed exercises; the size will increase with the weight
6 Best Kettlebell Exercises
The fundamentals of kettlebell training come down to just six exercises, otherwise known as the “Sacred 6.”
#1: The Russian-Style Swing
Considered as the most powerful kettlebell movement, the Russian-Style Swing represents full body power, extreme fat loss and a high level of cardiovascular conditioning. This is also the foundation of all kettlebell ballistic exercises.
#2: The Goblet Squat
The Goblet Squat is not just your normal leg exercise; it’s a total body juggernaut that offers more mobility – a nice addition to barbell squats.
#3: The Turkish Get-Up
Best described as kalos sthenos – which is Greek for ‘beautiful strength’ – the Turkish Get-Up is a slow, deliberate movement that helps you with functional tasks, as well as higher level exercises. It is a powerful full-body exercise that is essential if you’re aiming for stronger shoulders, improved hip and trunk strength and enhanced mobility.
#4: The Strict Press
The Strict Press is great for developing upper body strength and midline stability, as it primarily strengthens the upper traps, deltoids, upper pecs and triceps.
#5: The Clean
The Clean is another explosive exercise for total body strength and conditioning.
#6: The Snatch
Also called the Tsar of kettlebell exercises, The Snatch begins with the weight in a low position that is then projected overhead. It offers outstanding total body strength and conditioning benefits and helps to sky-rocket athletic performance to new levels.
Although watching videos can be helpful, the best way to learn these challenging movements is to train with a qualified instructor. Combine your training program with authentic anabolic steroids from Steroids and Muscle and you will surely see results in no time!